Tuesday, October 4, 2011

True Life: I'm Afraid to Protest the Government

As if cops weren't scary enough, as a member of the most reviled race with arguably the most distinguishing racial feature on earth, afro-texured hair.  I like a lot of people am scared to protest.  Especially with my short natural (and in my case, deep colored skin.)  I have had enough encounters with the police to know that they don't care for black bourgie women and probably even less for petite ones, who, in a crowd could be mistaken for pubescent little black boys (look mom, no hips :(.  lol!)  But I can't fight like one.

I have a friend who was pulled over late at night because she was mistaken for a man.  She was wearing a baseball cap (cuz her hair wasn't did/clearly a friend of mine.)  My mom (not having been mistaken for a man) was recently pulled over (for what? driving slow?) and she is in her 60's!  My dad used to routinely get pulled over in our white neighborhood because they thought his car was stolen until all his hair turned gray.  Luckily, like mine, it went prematurely.

It's scary when you know that if you went missing, were shot by a cop, or if you were wrongfully convicted of a crime in another country that nobody would care or be spending any government money to come and get your ass.  Aww.  I know you'd care.  Thank you.

Also, as an actor who has come fairly close to making a lot of money off of my face, I especially do not want to get fucked up.  But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  I'm not sure when but pretty soon like Badu, "I'm gonna be here with my make-up on! (and maybe a dress :/)"  Wherever here is.  Because fear is reason enough to act.  This moment should not pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment