Friday, October 7, 2011

Emotional Stability

Do you have it?  I feel like I'm close.  Not that I'm emotionally stable but I finally understand what it is and what it is not.

Emotional stability is something that you have to want.  If you are a perpetual victim or enjoy being a bully it's going to be harder to get there.  Because you are holding other people entirely accountable for your feelings.  First you have to recognize that you are probably not one of the good guys.  Almost everyone is somewhat selfish and has people who can't stand them for legitimate reasons.  Realizing and accepting that everyone isn't going to like you (not ever) is part of being an adult.


I ruminate on being emotionally stable.  Very recently, I've started thinking about it when I am interacting with people.  Usually at the start of the conversation.  This helps me enjoy people a lot more than in the past.  When I can execute it, taking a thoughtful moment helps me not take things too personally while still being in the moment.  You don't want to be robotic but you don't want to be volatile and unpredictable.  Passion is great and important.  But a lot of crazy people are passionate too.

Reflection is another part of pursuing emotional stability.  Think about your more difficult interactions with others and the role that your emotional stability or lack of it plays.  Would being able to be more even-keeled in some situations help you communicate better (communication skills are crucial to feeling stable?)  Help you give and ACCEPT criticism and move on?  Write.  Reflect.  And ask people you admire and trust for their help.

Disclaimer:  I have a master's in acting

No comments:

Post a Comment